By following these steps you will help to insure you and your passengers’ well-being, as well as making it easier for the first responders and the insurance companies involved.
There’s likely to be a time in our lives when we’ll be involved in a car accident. It could be something minor or it could be a major accident.
No matter how big or small or if it’s your fault or theirs, there are a few items you should take heed about. Before you call up that New York injury attorney you know, follow these steps:
1. Make Sure You’re Not Injured – make sure to check yourself out before you help any passengers you have with you, even children. Bleeding to death while you’re trying to assist people who are less injured than you won’t help anyone out.
Make sure your injuries aren’t life-threatening, then move on to someone who’s injured worse than you. If anyone is badly hurt, call for an ambulance. And remember to wait until you and any passengers have been examined by a doctor before you even think about calling a motor vehicle accident lawyer.
2. Inspect the Car for Smoke or Fire – if you struck something in front, see if the engine is smoking or on fire. Next you should check and see if the gas tank is leaking fuel or is on fire.
Once you’ve determined how badly injured everyone in your vehicle is, the next step should be to determine if there is any immediate danger to staying where you are. If there is fire or smoke of any sort, get everyone out of the vehicle, being especially careful with anyone suffering from broken bones of any kind.
3. Repeat the Process for Other Vehicles Involved – after you’ve confirmed that everyone with you is safe and is getting the care they need, you should check the others involved in the accident and see if they need any help. Only assist removing them from the vehicle if they are able to give you permission and do so.
There are opportunists out there who will sue their rescuer if they get hurt in the evacuation. Then you’ll be the one hearing from their New York accident lawyers. Assist them out of any danger after they’ve given permission or you discover they’re incapacitated. Then let them know that an ambulance is on the way.
4. Exchange Insurance Information – as soon as you can, exchange insurance information and phone numbers with the driver of the other vehicle. This sharing of information will help your respective insurance companies sort everything out on the back-end, resulting in a faster claims process.
Try and record what they say about the accident if you can, especially if they’re being apologetic. This will be of tremendous help to your Long Island personal injury attorney.
5. Take Photos if Safe to Do – if you’re physically able and you have the time, get photos of the crash scene. The more you can get of your vehicle, the other driver’s vehicle, and anything else relevant to the accident, the better.
If you or your loved ones have suffered any injuries, try to get pictures of those as well. Both your insurance company and your automobile accident attorney will appreciate this.
By following these steps you will help to insure you and your passengers’ well-being, as well as making it easier for the first responders and the insurance companies involved. Your proper conduct will also help the case your car wreck lawyer will build for you.
Internet Marketing for Attorneys.